-->

Monday 27 May 2013

Sachel

From old jeans to bag


I have been stockpiling Hugh's old jeans for a little while now. They went though a few different craft ideas but recently I decided that a new bag was in order.

It consists of two pairs of jeans that Hugh had worn out.  The pattern had to be very patchwork inspired since the biggest piece of fabic was still too small to make a bag out of.

I drew my pattern on a piece of muslin.

 Cut them out and then recut the pieces adding extra for seam allowances.  Then I sewed the pieces together and topstitched the seams to make the top and back of the bag.


I cut out the rest of the sides and bottom of the bag and sewed it all together.  I am quite happy with how the patchwork pattern worked out. I have never quilted before and I imagine it has many similar concepts.  The fabrics did make me a little crazy as they liked to change shape after I measured and cut them. Still my rotary cutter and my cutting mat were my best friends for this project.

I lined the bad with this really cute fabric I picked up quite a while ago and had been sitting in my stash waiting for the right project.






And Voila!  New bag.







I took it out for a spin today to the Salmonberry Market.  It is a group of people who get together to sell their handmade items down in front of the courthouse.

There was not a whole lot of people selling as it was pretty cold.  But it was not raining and in Prince Rupert we always consider that as a win.



Today my friend was selling her handmade cards and brooches.  She is a very talented artist and I was super lucky to get first pick of her cute items on her table.

I am hoping that one day I can come up with something nice to sell at the market too,  Maybe bags?  I need to experiment a bit more with fabrics and patterns first I think.






Lastly I when I went outside today I got a big surprise!  My poppies have finally begun to bloom.  I grew them from seeds last year and I was very worried that the winter would be very harsh and kill them off.  Lucky for me that was not the case and they have been flourishing these last couple months.

Isn't she pretty?

Look another potential bloom to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!